Car accident cases often result in devastating losses for victims. In many cases, victims incur medical bills, repair bills, and lose income because they can’t work for an extended period of time. They also often experience significant pain and suffering which they would not have experienced but for the accident in which they were involved. Keeping this in mind, it’s not surprising that many car accident victims want to know what kinds of compensation they can ask for in their car accident claim.
Maryland Law Allows Victims to Seek Compensation for Economic and Non-Economic Losses
Fortunately for victims, all of the examples of losses listed above are compensable under Maryland law. In Maryland, accident victims can seek compensation for their economic losses and non-economic losses. Here are some examples of the damages that victims often seek in Maryland car accident cases:
- Medical expenses – Car accidents often result in significant medical expenses for victims.
- Lost income – Many car accident victims are unable to work for months or even years.
- Property damage – In a Maryland car accident claim, you can seek compensation for the damage to your vehicle.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering – People who are hurt in car accidents often experience tremendous pain and suffering during the recovery process and into the future. Fortunately, under Maryland law, pain and suffering are considered a compensable loss.
Can You Recover Compensation for Your Injuries?
The fact that you were involved in a car accident does not automatically entitle you to compensation; you need to be able to show that the negligence of the other driver caused your accident. Some examples of driver negligence that often leads to serious car accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Following too closely
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Failing to yield
- Failing to signal lane changes or turns
Do Not Settle Your Case Without Consulting an Attorney
After a car accident, the insurance company may seem anxious to settle with you as soon as possible. It’s important to understand that these initial offers are rarely adequate and that the insurance company is probably trying to get you to settle before you have a chance to talk to an attorney and find out what your case is really worth. Remember, you only get one chance to settle, as once you accept a settlement offer, it’s nearly impossible to recover additional compensation. For this reason, you should always talk to an attorney before you settle a car accident claim.
Call Us Today to Speak With an Experienced Maryland Car Accident Lawyer
If you suffered an injury in a car accident, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation. The representation of an experienced car accident lawyer will ensure that your rights are protected during the claims process and that you obtain the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free case evaluation with a car accident attorney in Maryland, call Alpert Schreyer, LLC today at (301) 812-4777 or contact us online.