Boat Accident Attorneys in Maryland
Protecting the Rights of Boating Accident Victims for Over Three Decades
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a boating accident, you should seek the guidance of an experienced Maryland personal injury lawyer who can help to protect your rights. The lawyers at Alpert Schreyer, LLC have a long history of aggressively pursuing the maximum compensation available for clients who have suffered serious injuries or have lost loved ones in boating accidents. We have decades of trial and litigation experience on our side and will stop at nothing to maximize your compensation.
Call us at (301) 812-4777 for a free case evaluation and comprehensive evaluation of your claim. We have offices in Lexington Park, Bowie, Frederick, Waldorf, Prince Frederick, and Rockville.
Causes of Boat Accidents
The following are some of the potential causes of boating accidents in Maryland:
- Alcohol: One-third of all boating accidents happen when at least one of the operators is boating under the influence of alcohol. Operating a boat while under the influence is illegal and carries heavy fines and potential incarceration.
- Carbon monoxide: The fumes from boat engines can be fatal if passengers are exposed to high concentrations of carbon monoxide.
- Lack of boating experience: If you can drive a car, you can legally drive a boat. Boaters are not required to take boating-specific classes in addition to what little instructions they may receive during drivers training. Vehicle drivers must take a driving test before being allowed to drive, but that is not the case with those operating a boat or other watercraft.
- Dangerous weather: Winds, rain, lightning strikes, and severe waves can lead boating injuries.
Boat Accident Liability
Boaters must adhere to the safety guidelines created by the United States Coast Guard. When an accident occurs, it is important to determine if the boat’s operator was acting in a reasonable manner or if there was negligence. Was the driver mindful of the conditions, other boaters, and the passengers on board? The key for a jury in a personal injury or wrongful death case in Maryland is to determine if the boat driver acted within the “reasonable person” standard.
The Rights of a Boat Accident Victim
There is legal recourse a boating injury victim may pursue, including compensation for:
- Property damage, if the dock, land, or building is damaged from the crash.
- Medical expenses, when there is personal injury and subsequent hospitalization from the crash.
- Non-economic damages, which a victim may receive for pain and suffering and for any permanent injuries and/or disabilities he or she may suffer.
- Additional losses, which may include boat repair fees or even loss of wages when personal injuries keep you from work.
Criminal Implications of a Maryland Boat Accident
In Maryland, negligent boat drivers may face civil and criminal liability. The state may charge a negligent boat driver for reckless driving, gross negligence, or boating while intoxicated. All carry heavy fines. Please remember to be safe each boating season. Always leave plenty of space between you and other boaters and be sure to review the safety guidelines set forth by the United States Coast Guard. Always wear a life jacket while on a boat.
Mr. Alpert saved my job- Anonymous
I would highly recommend Mr. Alpert's firm.- Former Client
Well done Team!- CMCG
He got the results I needed.- Former Client
You saved my life from potentially devastating consequences.- K.K.
$2,600,000 Jury Verdict for Road Hazard in Baltimore City
$2,000,000 Collision with Commercial Vehicle
$1.8 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1.7 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1,200,000 September 11 Attack in Pentagon, Arlington Virginia
$1,100,000 Collision with Underinsured Driver
$1,100,000 Drowning Settlement
$1,100,000 Hydraulic Lift Failure
$1,000,000 Wrongful Death Insurance Coverage
$800,000 Tow Truck Crash in Waldorf
We have over 30 years of experience serving injured clients across Maryland and DC.
Concierge Level of Service
We are willing to visit injury victims at their homes if they are severely injured or bereaved.
No Upfront Fees
We are so confident in our abilities that we do not charge a legal fee unless you receive compensation.
We are not afraid to battle any party, whether big or small, both in and out of the courtroom.
We commit to staying up-to-date on the latest developments in Maryland injury law.
We have a sterling reputation in the community & among our peers in the legal field.