Maryland Birth Injury Lawyer
Did You Suffer a Labor and Delivery Injury? Call Us for Experienced Representation!
When even one member of a birth team is negligent, childbirth can turn
tragic. Yet these medical professionals and the
institutions they work for often attempt to cover up their mistakes—no matter
how egregious they may be.
At Alpert Schreyer, LLC, we advocate for injured mothers, children, and
families. We are known for relentlessly and successfully fighting to get
them answers, closure, and compensation in the wake of unspeakable tragedies.
Let our Maryland birth injury attorneys help you and your family. Take
advantage of our:
- Free, confidential consultations
- Award-winning legal representation
- 24/7 availability to answer any questions you may have
- Contingency fees, which means there are zero fees unless we win
- Compassionate guidance informed by over 30 years of experience
No family should have to live through tragedy because of the negligent
actions of an OB-GYN, nurse, midwife, or any other medical provider. That’s
why we take on both big and small cases. For your convenience, we have
Lexington Park, and
Call (301) 812-4777 today for a free consultation. Our birth injury lawyers
fight for clients injured in Maryland and Washington DC.
What Is a Birth Injury?
A birth injury is any injury resulting before, during, or right after childbirth.
Either the mother or baby may suffer these injuries; in many cases, both
Unfortunately, birth injuries are frequently the result of medical negligence such as:
- Failure to monitor fetal distress
- Failure to monitor a prolonged labor
- Failure to order an emergency C-section
- Failure to assess or consider a mother’s or baby’s risk factors
medication and anesthesia, such as epidurals
- Improper use of forceps, such as using them for too long
- Mistakes during vacuum-assisted delivery, or vacuum extraction errors
- Failure to safely remove a baby from the birth canal
Note that a birth injury is different from a birth defect, the latter of
which most often results from alcohol or drug use, family medical history/genetics,
and toxic exposure during pregnancy. There are cases in which medical
negligence, or other third-party negligence, may lead to a preventable
birth defect. If your child was born with an unexpected birth defect,
despite having received extensive prenatal care from a health care professional,
consult a Maryland birth injury attorney to learn your rights.
Common Birth Injuries: Do I Qualify for a Claim?
State law mandates that any injury caused by another’s negligence
qualifies for a legal claim.
At Alpert Schreyer, LLC, we help clients who have suffered labor and delivery
injuries such as the following:
- Facial and limb paralysis
- Brachial plexus injuries, including Erb’s palsy
- Cerebral palsy
- Umbilical cord prolapse
- Lack of oxygen
- Head and brain injuries
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Broken bones, such as fractured collarbones
- Uterine rupture
- C-section injuries
- Placental abruption
- Postpartum hemorrhage
- Preeclampsia and eclampsia
- Vaginal tears and anal fissures
- Infection-related injuries, from surgical site infections to mishandled
sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
We also take on cases in which a birth injury resulted in infant and/or
maternal death. If this happened to your family, we wish you our deepest
condolences. We know that nothing can make up for such an earth-shattering
loss, which is why the at-fault party must be held accountable. Learn
more about your rights after bereavement