Maryland Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Pedestrian Accidents & Injuries
There is no question that pedestrian accidents could result in catastrophic injuries or death – particularly for the pedestrian. In the aftermath of a pedestrian and car collision, the driver may face criminal charges and civil liability. Very often, pedestrian injury victims face steep medical bills and loss of earnings. It is critical to have an experienced Maryland pedestrian accident attorney on your side right away to determine liability in a serious crash.
When the Driver Is at Fault
Drivers who do not yield right-of-way to pedestrians and drivers who are negligent can cause serious injury or death to pedestrians. The most common place for a pedestrian and car collision is at an intersection. A driver may be liable for the accident if he or she runs a red light or stop sign. Drivers may also be at fault if they do not yield to a pedestrian already in the intersection. Drivers must practice safe driving and they must exercise appropriate care for pedestrians who are not surrounded by all the safety features of a car.
Another way that a driver may be held liable for a pedestrian and automobile crash is when the driver has been drinking. Drunk driving is a serious offense and carries heavy fines, potential incarceration and a suspension of driver’s license. If a driver is determined to have been negligent, he or she could be held criminally and civilly liable for the accident.
When a Pedestrian Is at Fault
Vehicle drivers are not always to blame for an accident. Pedestrians have rights and responsibilities as well. If a person runs out into the street or ignores traffic signals, they may be found at fault for the collision. A pedestrian attempting to cross a highway, for example, is putting their life in great danger. The speed of traffic on a highway gives little time to stop or swerve out of the way. If you are the victim of a personal injury because a vehicle struck you, the defense attorney for the driver may try to prove that you were at fault for the collision. Make sure you have an experienced Maryland pedestrian injury attorney who can help you prove your case by gathering physical evidence and talking to those who witnessed the collision.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Pedestrian injuries can be life-altering and sometimes even fatal. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that for every eight minutes, a pedestrian in America is injured. Every two hours, a pedestrian is killed. In 2008, 69,000 pedestrians were injured and 4,378 were killed. Children under 16 years of age made up 22 percent of all pedestrians injured.
- Alcohol: Almost half of all pedestrian fatalities in 2008 were caused by drunk drivers. If someone driving under the influence has injured you, you have the right to hold him or her accountable for the collision. A Maryland pedestrian injury lawyer can help you receive compensation if your pedestrian serious injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence.
- Cell phones and other forms of distracted driving: This goes for the drivers and the pedestrians. Studies have shown that the number of pedestrians injured while using the cell phone doubled from 2006 to 2007 and again in 2008. Talking and texting can be very distracting. When a driver is talking on the cell phone without a hands-free device or is texting while driving, he or she is driving distracted. This may make the driver liable for the crash. A personal injury lawyer can review cell phone records to determine exactly what the driver was doing at the time of the accident.
- Negligent drivers: Some drivers may miss a stop sign, forget to look before entering traffic, or run a red light. Drivers not exercising caution are a hazard to everyone around them.
Tips to Prevent Pedestrian Accidents
- Cross the street at intersections and crosswalks only: Jaywalking or crossing the street where a driver may not be expecting pedestrians can be dangerous.
- Get off the cell phone: While you can’t control how distracted car drivers may be, you can control how focused you are.
- Use the sidewalk: The sidewalk is generally much safer than walking on the edge of a street. Try to avoid streets with no sidewalks. Be sure to look out for vehicles backing out of driveways.
- Walk facing traffic: If you must walk on a road with no sidewalk, walk while facing traffic. You should be able to see traffic and let them see you.
- Keep children close: Children may not understand the dangers of crossing the street. Take the time to teach them safety rules. If you have young children, watch them and hold their hand all the time.
- Look left, right, left again: We all learned this in elementary school, but it still applies. Many of us tend to forget these basic safety rules as we grow older.
- Assume the driver doesn’t see you: When you are crossing the street, make sure the drivers see you. Also, do not assume a vehicle will stop for a stop sign. It’s always advisable to be patient and make sure the car comes to a complete stop and sees you before stepping in front of the vehicle.
Finding a Qualified Lawyer
The pedestrian injury lawyers at Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC have been serving the greater Maryland area for decades. We have represented hundreds of personal injury victims including those injured in pedestrian accidents. The costs resulting from an accident can add up quickly and the legal system can be complex and confusing. Let us help you through the process.
If a negligent driver has struck you, do not hesitate to call us at (301) 812-4777 for a free case evaluation and comprehensive case evaluation.
I would highly recommend Mr. Alpert's firm.
I would highly recommend Mr. Alpert's firm.” - Former Client
Well done Team!
If you need a legal team that has your back, I encourage you to seek out Alpert, Schreyer, Poe, LCC. The firm inspired confidence during an uncertain, painful experience while eliminating risk to my family and business. Well done Team!” - CMCG
He got the results I needed.- Former Client
You saved my life from potentially devastating consequences.- K.K.
Thank you!- R.R.
$2,600,000 Jury Verdict for Road Hazard in Baltimore City
$2,000,000 Collision with Commercial Vehicle
$1.8 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1.7 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1,200,000 September 11 Attack in Pentagon, Arlington Virginia
$1,100,000 Collision with Underinsured Driver
$1,100,000 Drowning Settlement
$1,100,000 Hydraulic Lift Failure
$1,000,000 Wrongful Death Insurance Coverage
$800,000 Tow Truck Crash in Waldorf
We have over 30 years of experience serving injured clients across Maryland and DC.
Concierge Level of Service
We are willing to visit injury victims at their homes if they are severely injured or bereaved.
No Upfront Fees
We are so confident in our abilities that we do not charge a legal fee unless you receive compensation.
We are not afraid to battle any party, whether big or small, both in and out of the courtroom.
We commit to staying up-to-date on the latest developments in Maryland injury law.
We have a sterling reputation in the community & among our peers in the legal field.