Maryland Swimming Pool & Drowning Accident Lawyers
We Help Accident Victims Recover the Compensation They Deserve
Spending long summer days by the pool is a favorite pastime for thousands of people throughout Maryland and D.C., which should be no surprise considering our sweltering summer temperatures. While going to the pool may seem like a relatively low-risk activity, a substantial number of people are seriously injured in swimming pool accidents every year—and some people even lose their lives.
Fortunately for victims and their families, when the negligence of other caused a swimming pool accident, victims are typically entitled to compensation. In cases where a wrongful act results in a fatality at a swimming pool, the surviving family members of the decedent may be able to recover compensation by filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
To find out whether you have a claim, schedule a free case evaluation with one of the Maryland swimming pool accident attorneys at Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC today. Call (301) 812-4777 or contact us online.
What Causes Swimming Pool & Drowning Accidents in Maryland?
Swimming pool accidents can occur for any number of reasons, including a person’s carelessness or clumsiness. What is important for victims is that when they are the result of negligence, they are usually able to recover compensation for the losses they sustain as a result of the accident. In most cases, these losses include medical expenses, lost income, loss quality of life, and physical and emotional pain and suffering.
Negligence occurs when a person fails to use the degree of care that would ordinarily be used by a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances. Importantly, in many cases, businesses can be held liable for the negligent conduct of their employees. Consequently, if your accident occurred at a pool owned by a hotel or health club, you can likely recover compensation from the company.
Here are some examples of common causes of pool accidents that are typically the result of someone’s negligence:
- Defective ladders, diving boards, or other pool equipment
- Exposed hardware
- Dangerous debris on the pool floor
- Inaccurately marked depths
- Missing signage
- Excessively slippery surfaces
- Inattentive lifeguards
- Drain suction entrapments
These are just some of the more common causes of pool accidents that often entitle victims to compensation. As a victim, it is important to understand that many forms of negligence are hard to spot without significant legal training, so you should have your case reviewed by an attorney even if you believe that your accident was your fault or was unavoidable. Failing to do so could result in missing out on significant compensation for the losses you have sustained.
Swimming Pool Accidents Can Result in Serious, Life-Altering Injuries
Injures that people sustain in swimming pool accidents can be extremely severe.
Here are some of the most serious injuries commonly associated with accidents that occur while visiting the pool:
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries commonly occur when a person dives head first into shallow water. This can damage the spinal cord at the neck, which often leaves victims permanently paralyzed from the neck down.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Traumatic brain injuries can occur when a person hits his or her head with enough force to cause the brain to hit the inside of the skull. At a pool, this can occur in a variety of ways, including in slip and fall accidents, diving board or platform accidents, or diving into water that is too shallow. Even mild TBIs can result in significant complications that can last months, including headaches, problems with concentration and memory, sensitivity to light and sound, and problems sleeping. In more serious cases, victims develop long-term problems that may necessitate around-the-clock care and prevent them from working or living independently.
- Serious lacerations – Hazards like exposed hardware or broken glass or other debris on a pool floor can cause extremely serious lacerations. In some cases, these injuries require surgery to correct and leave victims with significant and unsightly scarring.
- Anoxic brain injuries – Anoxic brain injuries occur when the brain goes without oxygen for too long. These injuries can occur at pools if a person loses consciousness or is trapped underwater. People who sustain anoxic brain injuries can often develop significant problems with speech, memory, and concentration. In extremely severe cases, an anoxic brain injury can leave a person in a vegetative state.
Drowning Incidents Can Often Lead to a Wrongful Death Case
Some pool accidents result in fatal drowning. When this occurs, the surviving family members may be able to recover compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. Typically, the same kinds of negligent conduct that are at issue in personal injury cases form the basis for a wrongful death claim. In addition, wrongful acts like intentionally pushing a person into a body of water or drowning them can justify a wrongful death action. In Maryland, a wrongful death action is typically brought by a decedent’s “primary beneficiaries,” which can include his or her spouse, parent, or child. If there are no primary beneficiaries, anyone who was related to the decedent by blood or marriage and who was substantially dependent on him or her may file an action. Because wrongful death cases are much different than personal injury cases, it is critical for loved ones of a person who was killed in a drowning accident to retain an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation
Swimming pool and drowning accidents often result from negligence on the part of the person or business responsible for the maintenance of the facility. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury in a pool accident, you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as you can. At Alpert Schreyer Poe, we have been representing the rights of injured victims for more than 30 years and are committed to ensuring that each client we represent gets the compensation he or she deserved under the law.
He got the results I needed.- Former Client
He remained dedicated and professional throughout my process.- B.T.
I thank you for your professional assistance.- R.E.
You saved my life from potentially devastating consequences.- K.K.
Thank you!- R.R.
$2,600,000 Jury Verdict for Road Hazard in Baltimore City
$2,000,000 Collision with Commercial Vehicle
$1.8 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1.7 Million Car Accident Verdict
$1,200,000 September 11 Attack in Pentagon, Arlington Virginia
$1,100,000 Collision with Underinsured Driver
$1,100,000 Drowning Settlement
$1,100,000 Hydraulic Lift Failure
$1,000,000 Wrongful Death Insurance Coverage
$800,000 Tow Truck Crash in Waldorf
We have over 30 years of experience serving injured clients across Maryland and DC.
Concierge Level of Service
We are willing to visit injury victims at their homes if they are severely injured or bereaved.
No Upfront Fees
We are so confident in our abilities that we do not charge a legal fee unless you receive compensation.
We are not afraid to battle any party, whether big or small, both in and out of the courtroom.
We commit to staying up-to-date on the latest developments in Maryland injury law.
We have a sterling reputation in the community & among our peers in the legal field.